The history of the Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral congregation may be traced to December 7, 1945 when a group desiring to form a new parish in north Winnipeg met at St. Andrew's College. The founding meeting was held on April 9. 1946 and an executive was elected. The next extra-ordinary meeting, held on June 25th, 1946 decided to request the Ninth General Sobor of the Ukrainian Greek-Orthodox Church to grant to the parish the status of the Cathedral Parish of all Canada.
In accordance with the decisions of the General Sobor held in Saskatoon in 1946 and the one held in Winnipeg in 1951, this parish was assigned the Cathedral Parish of the Ukrainian Greek-Orthodox Church of Canada, and its fixed assets became the property of the Church as a whole.
Work began on the building of the church as soon as the grounds were blessed on September 11, 1948. The cornerstone was blessed and laid on September 30, 1951, and on June 8th, 1952 the bottom section of the building was officially opened. During the following years funds were gathered, building plans were finalized and the main part of the structure was built. The Cathedral was officially opened and consecrated on July 8, 1962 by the Primate of the Ukrainian Greek-Orthodox Church of Canada, His Beatitude, Metropolitan Ilarion.
He also invites everybody to visit his site dedicated to his late great uncle, Volodimir Barabash, a Ukrainian-Canadian poet and philosopher from Manitoba.